1/5 Scale Sherman Tank:
Minilathe and Metalworking:
Homebrewing: - New!
Slide Rule Collecting: - Update!
Sources for Parts:
- Surplus Center my favorite.
- SmallParts.com gears, sprockets, springs, tools...
- McMaster-Carr Supply sells everything.
- Grainger.com sells almost everything.
- Phoenix Manufacturing Company, a source for pulleys and belts.
- American Science & Surplus, a good source for wheels, bearings, etc.
- Harbor Freight, lots of (cheap) tools, VERY slow shipping.
- Enco machine tools, fast shipping
- Alumilite casting resin and moldmaking materials.
Resources for Tinkerers
The Gizmologist's Notebooks:
Gizmologist's Blender Parts Library
- Fundamentals of Engineering Reference Handbook by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES). 17.5 meg PDF download, but well worth it.
- Lessons in Electric Circuits by Tony R. Kuphaldt et al.
- A Guide to Filing a Utility Patent
- How to drill a Square Hole
- An Introduction to Ball Bearings by NTN products
- Notes on Design and Analysis of Machine Elements by Douglas Wright. This site is simply awesome.
- Bolt Science, more than you ever wanted to know about bolts.
- Bearing Technical Information, from QBC Bearings.
- Copper Tube and Fitting Manual includes dimensions, pressures, etc
- How to Make Springs
- Foundry 101 Aluminum and Brass Casting Guide.
- Anodizing Aluminum by Ron Newman
- United States Patent Database
- Martindale's Reference Desk: Calculators On-Line
- Metric Conversions courtesy of Wiha Tools.
- Animated Engines
- Animated Virtual Mechanisms by Brock Institute for Advanced Studies (Java required)
- Animated Clock Escapements by Mark Headrick - check out his eBook, too.
- All About Pumps by Russell D. Hoffman, includes animations
- The Gingery Metalworking Series: Build a Metal Shop from Scrap from Lindsay's Technical Books
- Hobbicast at Yahoo Groups.
- Henley's Twentieth Century Formulas, Recipes, and Processes at ChestofBooks.com
- How to Draw a Straight Line at The Cornell University Library: Historical Mathematics Monographs
- Kent's Mechanical Engineer's Pocket-Book, 1907 Edition, at Openlibrary.org
- ToolGirl Mag Ruffman, actress, contractor, and wicked wit.
- Science Hobbyist site by Uber Gizmologist Bill Beaty.
- Richard Feynman, a sheer, unmitigated genius.
- Bruce Simpson - would you believe a homemade cruise missile? Yes! Lots of pulse jet engines, too.
- Trevor Blackwell built a Segway-style balancing scooter. Too cool.
- David Hahn, the nuclear boy scout and ultimate do-it-yourselfer.
- Red Green, "any tool can be the right tool!"
- Rube Goldberg, the American Heath Robinson
- W. Heath Robinson, the British Rube Goldberg.
- Schlock Mercenary, my favorite web cartoon.